Monday, January 5, 2009

Upon Arrival

Hello, everyone! I guess I fill you all in on my travels thus far. My flights were basically hitchless until the Lima airport, where I proceeded to fall asleep at my gate (I stayed over night in the ariport...sat in a chair at a cafe and listened to really obnoxious swing music all night)...awaking, where I once was the only person at the gate, I was now surrounded by curious Peruvians (who were probably overly curious as to why I had my pants partially unzipped). Anyway, my gate was switched while I snoozed, but luckily I woke up just as another plane was boarding to Cusco and they let me on.

Urubamba is at about 9,000 feet, a small town surrounded by the Andes. The town is great. My spanish is not.

I am getting by, though. My homestay family live within Urubamba. I like them very much and already feel at home their. The mother's name is Delfina, and is a preschool teacher. The father, Julio, is a retired farmer. They have two sons: Oscar, age 24, who is at the university studying tourism, and Miguel, 20, who is also at the university (in cusco) studying business management. One speaks english very well, but they are back only on weekends. This is actually a good thing because it helps me practice my spanish with Julio and Delfina.

Tomorrow I start volunteering at the local clinic (about a 10 minute walk from my house). This will be mon, tues, thurs in the morning. On wed I am helping with a water sanitation project. In the afternoons I have spanish lessons. Everything is great here. To everyone is the snow; I'm so sorry.

adios-

2 comments:

Travis said...

You should have taken Spanish, but you took German. Ha. Glad you're safe and sound. Love, Trav and Leah

Unknown said...

Hey, sounds amazing! I am jealous you get to live with an actual family. Best way to learn! Good luck with the Spanish!

Followers