Monday, January 12, 2009

The Sky is Low...aqui



I just started my second week here in Urubamba. The first few days were easily the most difficult...mostly because of the language. My weeks are going to be pretty much packed with stuff to do. On Mon, Tues and Thurs, I work in a clinic in a tiny village called Chinchero (I originally thought that I was going to be in Urubamba). The clinic is called a "MISMA" and is funded by the government. To give you an idea of what funded means:
-There is one bar of soap in the entire clinic
-Cleaning and sanitation consist of washing beds, floors and other equipment with dishwashing soap and cold water
-Sometimes dogs run around inside
-I think there are gloves, but I have no idea where...they are hardly worn
-My room is cleaner than the surgery/multipurpose room

Here is a link to info on Chinchero
The people who live there speak both spanish and quechuan. They are the descendants of the Icans, and they dress like this.
It is a 40 min bus ride from Urubamba. The road goes up, up, up...to about 12,000 ft. The best part of my day is the ride back. The farming land is stitched with green and the sky seems really near. On a clear day you can see taller mountains behind the ones that you thought were the tallest.

On the bus: sometimes I have to stand, sometimes I get to sit. People stare, always.

On Wed, me and my health campaign partner, Addie, help make water sanitation jars in Urubamba. This consists of pressing these ceramic jugs and filtering this sawdust-type material that is the actual filter for the water.

This Fri we are gong to schools in Urubamba to give presentations to 1-3rd graders about health. Fortunately, I've done this exact thing before. Unfortunately, this time I am doing it in spanish.


This last Saturday we planted some trees for a community near Chinchero. It was cloudy and cold, but my face still got burned. The people from the community came to help us after a while. Then they fed us a traditional Quechuan meal. Potatoes, cheese, chocla (huge corn).

My host family feeds me way too much. I try to pretend that I'm Luke Pounder/any Pounder and finish everythig on my plate. I usually overeat which I'm not used to. The food here revolves around meat, potatoes and rice. It has been really good food, but sometimes everything tastes similar. It's good, though.

I think that's all for now..
.

6 comments:

coach said...

Wow!You are definitely over the top on this experience! amazing place, clothing and culture shock! I am praying for many things for you! Protection,health,language and courage just to mention a few! Thanks for your impact and service to those in need! Dad

devin said...

dd - sounds like you are already having a great experience. be sure not to gain the superfreshman 15.

thanks for the update...keep them coming...

Red DDT said...

So, you going to trek up to Machu Pichu while you are there?

leahandtravishartanov said...

Yikes.....the surgery room is messier than your own? What an awesome experience. I only wish I could be present in one of your presentations.

Get used to living life as a minority. Don't worry, there only staring because you're beautiful.

spyder said...

Oh Todd, you haven't eaten cuy yet??? That is almost disappointing, but perhaps if you are lucky you will get an invitation to a local family grilling. The vistas are freaking amazing though, right??? And walking up and down steps cut out of rock a thousand years ago feels quite grounding and rooted. Now you just need more of those Quechua words.

DVaughn said...

TBone,

Great reading this blog of yours. I finally got the info to find you. Man you are living the dream, certainly not in Kansas anymore. Wish we could just follow you around for a day or three. You are making a difference Todd. I'm glad you are there. Love you and am praying for you all the time.

uncle dave (dr. nothing)

Followers